Ronnie and Luke were simply marvelous! They were both professional and friendly, just the right mix...
Reliable Furniture Removal Services
Getting rid of old furniture isn’t always an easy process. It's heavy, awkward, hard to maneuver and is nearly impossible to do on your own. You may even need extra hands and tools, such as a dolly, to move the heavier pieces. Even if you can manage to convince someone to help you with the heavy lifting, you still have to drop it off for donation or at the dump on your own.
Why choose 1-800-GOT-JUNK? to remove and recycle your old furniture?
1-800-GOT-JUNK? makes junk removal easy. We’re in your neighborhood and are ready to make your junk disappear! You don’t have to worry about moving anything out to the curb for us, we’ll grab those heavy items right from where they’re located, load them onto our trucks, and ensure that they’re handled responsibly from the minute we take them off your hands. It’s full-service Junk Removal, all you have to do is point! Find a 1-800-GOT-JUNK? location near you.
How our pricing works
The final cost of your junk removal can vary depending on what we take, how much needs to be removed, and how much space it takes up in our trucks. 1-800-GOT-JUNK? is always happy to provide you with an onsite, no-obligation estimate, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Recycling & donating your old furniture
At 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, we always remember the three Rs—Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Disposing of your old items in the most responsible and environmentally friendly way possible is a commitment that’s important to us. Many common household items like sofas, bookcases, desks and bed frames are recyclable if taken to the proper processing facilities, and we always ensure that we do so with the items that can be recycled.
For items that aren’t recyclable, we’ll link up with local charity groups to see if they have a need for furniture donations. If the items are broken or otherwise can’t be recycled or donated, we’ll ensure that they’re properly disposed of. You can learn more about what type of furniture items can be recycled in the FAQs below.
Furniture Disposal FAQs
Can you throw a couch in the dumpster?
It’s best to avoid throwing your couch in or near a dumpster. It may seem like the easiest way to get rid of your old couch, but many garbage services aren’t equipped to handle couch removal. And even if they are, they often require old couches to be broken down before they can be removed.
Am I allowed to put my old furniture on the curb to give it away for free?
It depends on where you are located and the type of living space you have. Some city guidelines do offer furniture pick up, while others do not allow residents to haul their furniture to the curb and will fine you for doing so. If your building has a strata manager, check on whether this is allowed. It can get stressful if no one ends up taking the item, and having to find another tactic.
How can I take apart a couch for disposal?
Taking apart your couch is a multi-step process. Here’s what you need to do:
- Gather the tools you’ll need—common examples include:
- Allen wrench
- Staple puller
- Box cutter
- Remove the cushions from the sofa
- Turn the sofa on its back in order to take apart the legs
- Use a staple remover or screwdriver to take apart the upholstery
- Disassemble the wood frame
- You’re done! Now you can dispose of the couch’s individual components
Who can I get to pick up old furniture?
You have a few options when it comes to old furniture pick up:
- Check with your city and see if they offer free pick up for large items. Regulations vary depending on the location you are in.
- Sell or give your old furniture away for free and have the buyer pick it up from your home.
- Donate it to a local charity. Some may offer to pick up the items for you, but you may have to drop it off yourself.
- Haul it yourself to the dump. However, this can be tricky to organize, especially if you don’t already have a truck that can fit all your items.
- Hire a professional junk removal service like 1-800-GOT-JUNK? to handle furniture pick up for you.
I'm moving offices. What can I do with old office furniture?
Since most offices contain a large amount of furniture, take an inventory of everything you don’t need to take with you when it comes to a commercial move. This helps keep track of what you want to take and what you need to get rid of.
Consider selling or giving furniture to your employees or donating them to your local charity. You can also call your city or local scrap yard to see what type of large items they are able to take. A professional junk removal service like 1-800-GOT-JUNK? can make the office furniture removal process easy for you.
Can you recycle wood furniture?
Yes, depending on the type of wood used. If you have items that are made from untreated wood, these can be recycled and sometimes even composted. Most furniture is made of treated wood, which means it has been pressure treated, stained, painted or varnished. This type of wood, along with particleboard and chipboard, is very difficult to recycle due to the chemicals in the varnishes, paints, adhesives, and other wood treatment products. The best thing to do with old treated wood furniture is to find a way to reuse it.
Where can I dispose of old furniture?
It can get frustrating to dispose of your old furniture especially if they are large, bulky, and heavy. It becomes hard and sometimes dangerous to move it and carry it outside the house.
There are a few ways to get rid of your old furniture depending on the condition and if it’s damaged.
- Donate them to charities or NGOs
- Put them out on garage sale / online sale
- Leave them on the curb (however, this option is potentially unsafe)
Broken, Damaged, unusable
- Take them to the junkyard
- Call a professional junk removal service to take your old furniture and dispose them / recycle them in a proper way
At 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, we provide a safe, efficient, and environmentally friendly furniture removal service. We make sure the old furniture ends up in the right place which can be a donation to a charity if they are still in good shape, or look to take them to a recycling facility if they are damaged beyond use.
No matter what, we do the heavy lifting for you and dispose of your old furniture responsibly. All you have to do is point, and the junk disappears.
Furniture that we take
As long as there’s no hazardous material involved, we can take just about any piece of furniture you can think of! Items we’ll recycle, donate or dispose of for you include:
- Bed frames
- Coffee tables
- Outdoor/patio furniture
- Entertainment centers
- Sofa Beds
- Dining Tables
- Filing Cabinets
- China Cabinets
- Wall Units
How our service works:
- Schedule your No Contact Junk Removal service online or by calling 1-800-468-5865.
- Our friendly, uniformed truck team will call you 15-30 minutes before your scheduled 2-hour appointment window to let you know exactly when to expect us.
- When we arrive, we'll take a look at the items you want to be removed and provide you with an up-front all-inclusive price.
- We'll remove your items, being sure to only touch the items we're taking away, and sweep up the area. We'll then collect payment once the job is complete.