13 tips for stress-free spring cleaning
Spring cleaning is an important part of maintaining a clutter-free home, but it doesn't just have to be an annual occurrence. Spring is more than just a time of year, it encompasses feelings of joy, lightness, and freshness, and you can bring those feelings to your home no matter the season. You don’t have to wait for the snow to melt to do your spring cleaning, it can be springtime anytime!
If you’re unsure on how to start your cleaning project, follow the below steps to make the process less daunting and give yourself some motivation!
How to prepare for cleaning day
Set aside an hour of time within the next week to categorize your living space. In this hour you should:
- Take out your calendar and pick two full days within the next month, one for cleaning and the other as a personal day, to reward yourself for a job well done.
- Make a list of all the rooms you want to clean.
- Walk through each room and take notes on a couple of tasks that need to be done. (i.e. Living room: Vacuum, remove old books from shelf, get curtains cleaned.)
- Review the full list and highlight the items that are not basic cleaning tasks. (i.e. Items from living room go to thrift store. Couch in basement needs to be removed.) This highlighting will result in two categorized lists.
- Next, identify the resources needed to take care of the highlighted items. (i.e. Take used clothing to my sister. Call 1-800-GOT-JUNK? to get rid of my couch.) Schedule these arrangements over the next few weeks so everything is taken care of when you start cleaning.
- As your hour comes to a close, imagine how you would like to spend your day after cleaning when your house is like new again. Whether it’s reading or watching a movie in your “like new” space, or going on an all-day outing, plan something fun to reward yourself for all your hard work.
Get in the right mindset to declutter
- Set a jar on the kitchen counter and start to put your spare change in it. This will be your play money for the day after cleaning!
- Hope for sun! Sunshine is very important because it makes us feel good. Believe it or not, cleaning inside on a sunny day is more motivating than on a rainy day.
- Keep up on your tidiness, this will help with organizing on the big day.
Make cleaning day a fun experience
- Entertain yourself! Blast some music or put on your favorite podcast, this will make the whole cleaning process more enjoyable!
- Set a goal for a finish time that includes disposing of items that are leaving the house (or at least having them outside and out of the way), and slot each room into a time period on paper.
- With each room, start by placing any items that are being thrown out, or going into storage, in a box to be taken outside immediately, to eliminate the risk of them being forgotten.
- Finally, start cleaning!
If your home requires a great deal of work and you’re still feeling overwhelmed, don’t worry! Invite family and friends to help you! Give them some incentive by offering to help clean their home or treat them to a dinner out. Another option is to hire a Professional Organizer to help manage the piles. Regardless of the original state of your home, a professional junk removal company, such as 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, can be a huge help and a source of relief! Happy cleaning!
JUST POINT AND JUNK DISAPPEARS.
- No obligation, in person quotes.
- Quick and easy onsite payment.
- No hidden fees.
- Responsible disposal.